Subscribe via RSS Feed Connect on LinkedIn

Lync 2013 client – Force Instant Address Book (GalContacts.db) Download: “Address book synchronizing. Results may not be current.”

23/11/2012 23 Comments

Like Lync 2010, Lync 2013 has a random back-off period before downloading the locally cached address book file. This is to avoid a storm of downloads if a large number of users sign in at the same time.

This is why you may see “Address book synchronizing. Results may not be current.”

image

Also like 2010, you can set a registry key to override this behaviour and have the client download the file on sign in. The key has moved slightly in 2013.

To add the key, run the following from Run/PowerShell as administrator:

reg add HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync /v GalDownloadInitialDelay /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

The location of the cached files has also changed, it is now

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\sip_user.name@domain.com

GalContacts.db and GalContacts.db.idx are the files you are looking for to show the address book has downloaded

image

You now see “no matches” rather than a warning about results not being current.

Take a second to share this, thanks, TomTweet about this on Twitter14Share on LinkedIn4Share on Facebook12Share on Google+2
Tom Arbuthnot

Tom Arbuthnot

Managing Consultant at Modality Systems
Tom Arbuthnot is a Microsoft Lync Certified Master and MVP. He is currently Managing Consultant at Modality Systems. Tom is actively involved in the global Unified Communications community. He is a founding member of the Microsoft UC User Group London, a contributing writer to Lync Server 2013 Unleashed and a technical reviewer for Trainsignal. Modality Systems is a UC Centre of Excellence – specializing in strategy, infrastructure, user adoption, managed services and software development.
Tom Arbuthnot
Tom Arbuthnot
Filed in: Lync, Microsoft • Tags:

Comments (23)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Kemal says:

Hey

I followed your steps and it gave the result you got. But i still can´t call contacts using my numbers provided by the SIP-trunk. Any thoughts on this?

2. Mike Minter says:

Is there any registry setting that can be added to force a specific path for the Lync cached files? We have a “locked down” Citrix environment running Lync 2010 that is preventing users from getting the cache created.

3. Libin Joseph says:

I have 2010 ms office and 2013 lync in my office but in lync we are no able to search the user who are our domain .can you please help me on this

4. John Bower says:

Hello Tom,

I have a Lync 2010 server up and running. I am having one issue with one client. Everyone else is having no issues at all. The one client cannot search by username to add the contact. The user gets the message “Address book synchronizing. Results may not be current.”. Users searching for that client will get the same thing. The only way the user has been able to add contacts is putting in the full sip path ex: sip:username@*****.****
    When I look in the comunnicator folder both GalContacts.db and GalContacts.db.idx files are missing. How can I get them added and this working correctly for this one user?

• user specific or computer specific issue?

suspect computer, in which case the easy option (without trying to troubleshoot over internet) it to rebuild the PC

• John Bower says:

Good question, it very well may be machine related. If that is the case, no way of resolving this without reimaging?
        I am pretty sure it is machine related because I signed onto that machine and the files were not created under my profile as well.

5. Brian says:

I have a user, who after we added him to our new Lync 2013 server, lost all of his contacts, stored in Lync.

Does anyone know about anything that could cause this?

Thanks.

• If you tick “force” on moving a user, it wont take the contacts over. That could be the issue

• Brian says:

Thanks Tom.

If that is the case, do you know of any way to restore the old contacts?

Like copying from the old sip_…. folder to the new?

6. Todd LaRiviere says:

Hello Tom,

Issue we are having here, is when we search a user by user name sometimes we get message that says. Address book synchronizing. Results may not be current. However if we search full email address we are able to find them. Any idea why this is happening?

7. Jose Lopez says:

Hi Tom,

Where would the Regostry setting be configured if running Lync 2010 as a Published Citrix App? I cannot see the Lync 2010 key mentioned in either the Lync Server or any of the Citrix servers.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,
    Jose

8. Ryan Degner says:

Tom,

First off, Thank you for putting so much effort into the community. It is very much appreciated for those of us who are very “new” :)

I have an issue that Im looking for some direction.

I have Lync 2013 server deployed with clients on 2010 and 2013. I have a few users that are not searchable from 2010 (even after MANY days)unless I use the sip:username@domain.local name. This does not the case in 2013?

9. Gael says:

Hello Tom,

First of all thanks for your great blog! I was wondering if you know of a similar setting on Lync for Mac 2011?

Thanks!

10. Chetan says:

I’m not getting redistery key mentioned below(lync 2013 client)

11. Leo M. says:

Step 1:
    Go to this folder on the client’s PC: “C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\sip_user.name@domain.com”
    Step 2:
    Look for these two files on the client’s PC (As they can be missing!) GalContacts.db and GalContacts.db.idx
    Step 3:
    (If these files are missing from client’s machine and you need to get the client up and running FAST!)
    Copy these two files GalContacts.db and GalContacts.db.idx from a working Lync program on another PC to the impacted PC (client’s machine.)